Born in Panama not enough to be Panamanian - legislator

1,915Views 8Comments Posted 17/10/2019

The controversial PRD deputy and  vice-president of the National Assembly  Zulay Rodríguez, who has frequently been accused of xenophobia  wants to introduce reforms  to article 9 of the Panama Constitution  so that  the “only”  Panamanians    will be  those born in the national territory "of a Panamanian father or mother," she  said , during the plenary session on Wednesday, October 16.

Rodríguez, said that with this initiative she intends to end "the relaxation" of the rules during the “melting pot” events created to clear the backlog of migrants without residence permits.

"There is not going to come to a boy, who is the son of a person who acquired a residence through a pot process that is somewhat irregular, and will say he is Panamanian," said the legislator.

LawfulJones

Not only BORN by a panamanian Mother & Father...she also FORGOT, that you have to aquire absolutely needed skills until youre 18. - While participating in the daily traffic with a vehicle, you have to DRIVE LIKE AN IDIOT and HONK in every possible unnecessary moment. - You have to be able to express yourself by yelling and sreaming around rather than speaking with a low noise level to discuss. - You have to get drunke (and if possible DRIVE), EVERY weekend and leave your waste in nature and the beaches. - You have to BELIEVE that GOD is an explanation for everything (eg. God make Earthquakes happen in Chiriqui because there are too many gay persons). - You have to allow the building of more and more skyscrapers in the city, that will stay also empty and will make the property and appartment/housing prices rise to the sky even more. etc etc etc Way to go Panama, you are and will remain a 3rd World Country. Unfortunately.

Rossene

She's pretty stupid! OMG!

Tony Caldera

What the lady senator proposed won't fly and it has already been withdrawn...

Loire

Citizenship thanks to jus soli is all gone from European countries for a reason. Maybe this needs a stronger review than just parent citizen to cover different cases, but if it isn't regulated after the Crisol de Razas mess I can see anchor children being a topic of controversy.

Glen

This lady is a crack pot. Get rid of her! Too hard core.

4U2CME

I'm sorry but I think it is wrong !! I fully understand the problem here and it's the same around the world but many country's where built on its immigrants, there children and I believe that one needs to accept those people that are already here and part of this countries economy and going forward one needs to make changes to the system and find a way to filter the people that we know are being unlawful or have bad intentions . I am a step father and a father to children whos mother is Panamanian, my step daughter born here and my son born in the states which both I consider Panamaian. Now like the person wrote before me if I have lived here legally , paid my dues, done my part lawfully to assist the Panamanian economy , its people and a few years in i have a child on Panamanian soil with a woman that maybe isn't Panamanian I believe that child of course is Panamanian, this was his birth place , his home and potentially might be the only thing he or she might know as a child and that should not be taken from him or her. Note: this doesnt excuse the people that are doing things unlawfully or with a ulterior motive

hr4ael

Another millennial so naive

CaptainDiva

What about those that enter legally, start a corporation, and buy property worth over $100,000 and they have a baby in Panamá? What then?