Netflix cancels Meghan Markle production

 
717Views 0Comments Posted 02/05/2022

 

Netflix has canceled an animated series created by Meghan Markle as part of cost-saving measures following disappointing first-quarter results.

The streaming giant confirmed in an email to AFP on Monday the cancellation of The Duchess of Sussex's Pearl, a series about a 12-year-old girl inspired by historical female figures, announced in July last year.

The move follows "the strategic decisions Netflix is ​​making around animated series," said the company, which also dropped other children's series such as Dino Daycare and Boons and Curses.

Markle and her husband, Prince Harry, signed a deal to produce content for Netflix after stepping down from royal duties in Britain.

The couple, who moved to California, created the company Archewell Productions, named in honor of their son Archie.

In 2020, Harry and Meghan announced that they would produce a documentary series about the Invictus Games for injured veterans – men and women – created by the prince himself.

Netflix said Archewell Productions "remains a valued partner and we continue to work together on a number of projects, including the upcoming documentary series Heart of Invictus ."

In April, Netflix reported a decline in the number of subscribers for the first time in a decade, causing its share price to drop.

 

 

 

 



Free Daily Email
Register here for free daily headlines
Search