The building on Plaza 5 de Mayo that served Panama as a railway station from 1913 until 1960, when the United States transferred it to the Panamanian government. will undergo a major reconstruction to serve as an Anthropological Museum.
It was last restored in 1976 to become the Museum of Panamanian Man and later the Reina Torres de Araúz Museum. It was declared a national historical heritage in 1996
Bidding for the resoration project will take place in October. Carlos Aguilar, Minister of Culture, reiterated that the main heritage, monumental and cultural infrastructures are damaged and must be rescued and valued for the benefit of all Panamanians.